Treat yourself to a delicious pinwheel cookie with our easy-to-follow recipe
No matter how unspectacular a cookie tastes, the way it looks will make it spectacular. Case and point: Pinwheel Cookies. Don’t get me wrong, these cookies are delicious. Simple vanilla and chocolate butter cookies. But there are no bells and whistles with these cookies. What makes them great is the presentation, the way they look. Pinwheels. I have made these on numerous occasions and each time everyone is wowed, I mean, they can’t believe they are eating a homemade pinwheel cookie. “You baked these at home?” If I would have just baked up simple vanilla cookies or chocolate cookies nobody would have asked me that. But make a cool looking design and wham! You got some spectacular cookies. These cookies are made from an easy recipe and are just as easy to assemble.
Cook Eat Delicious Rating: These are delicious butter cookies. My chocolate was perfectly balanced with the vanilla cookie but held its own as well. The cookies will have a firm bottom when baked but the insides are soft and almost, just almost, cakey cookie. But not really. I hope that makes sense!
- 2½ sticks butter slightly softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coffee strong , cooled
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate melted and still warm
- In a large bowl cream butter for 2 minutes until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Mix in sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Sift in flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Remove 2 cups of the dough and set aside.
- Add in cooled coffee and cocoa powder to remaing dough.
- Mix in melted chocolate until well combined.
- Divide each dough into three equal pieces, so as to have 3 chocolate and 3 vanilla.
- Shape each piece into a 5×5 square on wax or parchment paper, top with another piece of wax or parchment and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll each square into a 7×7 square and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Take one vanilla square and one chocolate square and remove one piece of waxed paper from each.
- Align the two layers together evenly, one on top of the other, and gently press together to seal both layers together.
- Take off top layer of wax paper and slowly start to curl edge of the dough up and over using the bottom waxed paper for help, not rolling it into the cookies.
- Roll the dough into a tight spiral roll, pinwheel, avoiding spaces in-between.
- Once formed, gently but firmly roll back and forth to compact the roll and make it about 9 inches long, 1.5 inches thick.
- Place on a piece of plastic wrap, twisting ends to seal it closed.
- Repeat with remaining layers.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours before using or freeze for two months.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and slice cookie log into ¼ inch thick cookie slices.
- Bake for 14 minutes and transfer warm cookies to baking rack.
- Store for up to two weeks.
FAQs About Pinwheel Cookies
Are you looking for a sweet treat that is different from the norm? Look no further than Pinwheel Cookies. These delicious cookies are made with a dough that is shaped like a pinwheel, and they are sure to be a hit at any party.
What are Pinwheel Cookies?
Pinwheel Cookies are cookies that are made from a dough that is shaped like a pinwheel. The dough is then filled with either sugar or chocolate chips and rolled out into thin circles. Once the circles have been rolled out, they are cut into small pieces and baked on an oven sheet.
What Ingredients Are Needed to Make Pinwheel Cookies?
To make Pinwheel Cookies, you will need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter (room temperature), eggs (room temperature), milk (cold), and vanilla extract. However, some variations of the recipe call for different ingredients such as nuts or chocolate chips instead of sugar or chocolate chips.
What Is The Best Way To Bake Pinwheel Cookies?
There is no one definitive way to bake Pinwheel Cookies; they can be baked in the oven using both conventional baking methods as well as special baking techniques such as microwave baking or cookie sheets that have been treated with non-stick cooking spray. It is best to follow the recipe instructions carefully so you get the best results possible. It’s also important to note that cookies will taste better if they are stored in an airtight container in an cool place away from direct sunlight. Finally, it’s customary to serve pinwheels warm or at room temperature after they have been baked.
Tips For Serving Pinwheel Cookies
Are you in the mood for some sweet treats? Whether you’re looking for something to snack on or want to make a special dessert, pinwheel cookies are the perfect recipe. These delicious cookies are easy to make and can be decorated in a variety of ways to create unique flavors.
To start, roll out pie dough and add other ingredients, such as sugar, eggs, and nuts, to make the pinwheels. Cut the dough into triangles and then roll them up into tight little balls before placing them on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Allow them to cool before serving with fresh whipped cream or ice cream – they’re best enjoyed that way!
If you want to create even more variety in your pinwheel cookies, switch up the ingredients in the dough. Try adding chocolate chips or raisins for a different flavor profile each time you make them. Alternatively, try using different colors of icing or candy pellets as decorations on your cookies. Either way, these delicious treats will be sure to wow your friends and family!